Sunday, November 17, 2013

November 17 - To See or Not to See

If you haven't already, you may want to read this week's newsletter. It contains a brief reflection on the Council of Bishops' statement.


Sermon Notes

Some of the information for today's sermon comes from The New Interpreter's Commentary. It's pricey, but if you want some of the best scholarship it's worth the price. I used several commentaries in my work, but this is the one I use most often.

We also use a variety of Bible translations, but the one we use most often is the Common English Bible. It's a newer translation. One of the most notable differences between it and other translations is the use of the title "The Human One" instead of "Son of Man" for Jesus. Here's a good starting point if you want to read more about the reasons behind the change.

Sometime I'll preach some more sermons just on the story of the Rich Young Ruler. The story appears in Mark and Matthew as well as Luke. Here's a sermon from another pastor that is similar to one of the two or three I would preach.

The Leonard Sweet quote is from his forward to the book Truth is the Word. I found the quote online. I heard him say something similar in person once and got lucky. I haven't read the book so can't comment on it one way or the other, but if Sweet recommends it it's probably a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment